1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

A Fisherman's Saga

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by dkonopinski, Aug 16, 2019 at 9:43 AM.

1. dkonopinski

dkonopinski Subscribed Member

We are very lucky to have found a house at one end of a small Yorkshire village on the bank of a river and so for my 70th the family got together and bought me one of those complete fishing kits. And I mean complete. All they had to add was the chair (v comfy) and all I had to add was the bait. Now I haven't fished for about 50 years (River Lea in Tottenham), but I thought I had at least some idea of what I was doing. Delusional fool.

Setting up took me ages. Like about an hour and a half, but I only got the hook in my finger twice so could be worse. Finally I'm ready to cast, but all I got was a huge tangle of line round the reel. The line must been on the spool since about the dawn of time and was coming off like one of those spring things that walk down stairs. After about another hour sorting that out I tried another cast and it worked except that I hooked the big willow on the other bank. By this time you could hear the fish laughing and blowing raspberries.

Anyway, finally I cast properly, ignored the new tangle at the real and after only a minute or two caught a roach. Nothing spectacular, about 8", but the sense of achievement was massive. Nothing messy or complicated with the hook and the fish was back in the river PDQ. Strangely after all these years, when I finally got a bite I did all the right things without a conscious thought.

Next day I got some advice from a mate in the village who has fished all his life, replaced the line completely and had another go a few days later. Nothing happened except that I got soaked in the rain. Since then the river has been up and my fishing deck has been under water.

I shall persevere.

David

bushwacker, Nice65, NOTSHARP and 5 others like this.
  2. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

Brilliant, a dream to have your own river bank ☺ health to enjoy sir and tight lines ☺

Nice65, MaC and BorderReiver like this.
  3. dkonopinski

Thank you, Robbi.

4. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

Ah, you Sir are indeed fortunate, and I wish you joy of your good fortune.:)

I was going to post in the traditional ROF manner, but I controlled myself.

Seriously though , nice one. :D

MaC likes this.
  5. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

Much envy from down here on the rock as fishing other than at sea, is extremely poor. A couple of large stocked puddles for trout and most coarse venues full of bloody carp.
    Well done for getting back at it and I hope you have many contemplative hours enjoying it and nature regardless of the fish caught. :)

6. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

David...

Check out Traditional fisherman forum. You might quite enjoy it.

beachlover likes this.
  7. dkonopinski

8. Juttle

Juttle Subscribed Member

If the line keeps be uncooperative switch it for a light braid, much easier to control and does behave itself. Am I envious? No, not one bit, really, no, no, not even a tiny little bit!

Enjoy it, it’ll soon become obvious that catching fish doesn’t really matter but they come as a welcome bonus!

Saint-Just, Nice65, Robbi and 2 others like this.
  9. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

And take up the pipe. :)

10. Juttle

Juttle Subscribed Member

Yes, essential!

11. dkonopinski

Hehehehe. I was a pipe smoker for a lot of years, but I won't be starting again. Sorry. It was Barney's Punchbowle because of the little bit of Latakia in the mixture. Haven't smoked for maybe 20 years now but even so I've only to catch a whiff of pipe smoke from a decent tobacco and I know you never stop being a pipe smoker even if you stop smoking.

Anyway, it's been raining steadily here all day and the flamin' river is coming up again. The forecast from tomorrow is better. Here's hoping.:fish:

David

Nice65 and BorderReiver like this.
  12. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

I started smoking because of fishing in the Borders, to keep the midges at bay. I agree about never not being a pipe smoker, I have no desire to ever smoke another cigarette, but the siren call of the pipe is ever there and I haven't smoked for 30 years.

Robbi likes this.
  13. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

That’s very true. I gave all bar two pipes, and all my McClelland tobaccos away. A whiff of British Woods type Latakia or Perique and I’m like the Bisto kid. :)

I still enjoy a puff occasionally, but it has to be a camping/outdoors thing, meditative like the fishing.

14. beachlover

Just ripe for a bit of editing and a Brokeback cheap shot, but I'll resist..... :D

Saint-Just, BorderReiver and Robbi like this.
  15. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

If Mike can keep it clean, then so can you. :paddle::D

16. beachlover

:P