1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

A Stuart Mitchell #2 in Cocobolo and Bog Oak

Discussion in 'Knife Makers Gallery' started by Stew, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Stew

Stew Member

This is another that I've handled up for Rich - don't think I had posted pics!

The blade is D2 and was done as a run of blade only by Stuart years back!

Rich wanted the handle from some nice and stripey Cocobolo but I felt it was too thin on it's own so layered it over some thin Bog Oak.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sheath for this shape blade is a bit of a nuisance. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Ooh, that came out well. It's kept it's waspish qualities in both blade, handle, and sheath. That cocobolo was too thin by the looks.

Good job :)

3. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

Thats nice, the bog oak works well.

4. NOTSHARP

NOTSHARP Subscribed Member

I love the Wharncliffeeskness( :?) of that blade.

Steve.

5. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

That's what drew me to it, many years ago. I bought that off Rapidboy in 2008, it's been sat wrapped in card in the cupboard ever since as I was always a bit worried I'd bugger it up and decided to handle cheaper blades to get myself skilled enough. In those days of course, Mr Mitchell was regarded by us newbies as something of a saint :P:P :D. Now I know him of course, I don't mind ripping the piss a bit, quite a lot, well loads. The #2 blade is personally one of the finest looking blades I've seen from any maker, it's why I hung on to it with a view to getting it finished rather than pass it on.

Since moving and other hassles I've not set the garage up as a workshop as it's too full of bulky crap that gets in the way and will suffer with the dust. And I'm honestly not bothered about ever working G10 again without the correct extraction and respiratory equipment.

6. NOTSHARP

I think that it would be ideal to unzip a Roe deer. It's a wicked waste to not put it to good use.

Consider yourself bollocked! :D

Steve.

7. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I've not got a deer, I thought it might make a half decent letter opener. :nod:

Sorry Stu, it'll be used from now on, and if it isn't, it'll be passed to someone who will. It's spent too long doing nothing but being admired.

And again, Stew, a really nice job. :)

8. NOTSHARP

The chances of you ever shooting a half decent letter, are remote. :D

Steve.

beachlover and Nice65 like this.