1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Backpacks of the 30ish litre variety

Discussion in 'Outdoors Gear Discussion' started by gregs656, Mar 19, 2018.

1. gregs656

gregs656 Member

I 'need' a backpack. I have several bags that are just too small and a couple that are too big.

Currently looking at the Maxpedition Falcon as I am significantly more impressed with the Sitka than I thought I would be - particularly after I took off all the crap MaxP cover them in.

Suggestions for alternatives welcomed.

2. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Mate, I've got one of Kevs Milspec type Falcon copies in the cupboard. It's not built to MaxP standards by any means, but you can nab it for a bit to see if it works for you. I think it's about 25ltrs.

Other than that, the Rush bags are well thought of, but I've not owned one.

3. 5teep

5teep Subscribed Member

I just bought a 30 ltr UK Patrol pack from Varustelika for £22 (plus £6.99 del). It's tough stuff, well made and roomy. Main compartment, two large side pockets , one top pocket and one in the base. Maybe not what you're looking for but worth a punt for the price.

Nice65 likes this.
  4. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

Never liked the Falcon. Its compartments all seem to small for anything apart from a book and flat folded shirt.

Nice65 likes this.
  5. Ren

Ren Member

[​IMG]

Karrimor SF have two new packs coming out sometime this year, 25L Magni on the left, and 15L Modi on the right.

6. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

What type of bag are you after Greg and what for?
    Tacticool would say take a look at the Rush 24. I’ve had one and got rid of it because it was saggy, but now there are clip on ties to compress it. They are heavy, pretty indestructible, but no frame and no space between its back and yours.
    Old school would say LK35 or a Munro. I love my Munro!
    I have a Deuter Groden 32 that is a great compromise between old school looks and side pockets, but with a frame and mesh to keep it off the back while being light.
    Another choice would be one of the Lowe Alpine 35:45 packs. I had the Trek+ and it was robust and with plenty of features. It saw me through the 200 odd kilometres of the Camino in relative comfort with its frame and ventilation system.
    Finally of course, there are the multiplicity of Osprey packs. The Kestrel and new Stratos as well as the Exos are excellent.

7. gregs656

gregs656 Member

Cheers Rich I will take a look at it next time I see you.

I have an issued patrol pack. It's not a bad bag actually.

Not sure Karrimor is my bag (so to speak).

Kev I'm after a general day pack. Not for hiking particularly. I've been using the Camelbak BFM (original style) a bit and like I say really impressed with the Sitka so something along those lines but in between sizes should be good.

beachlover likes this.
  8. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Ive got a Munro too, better bag IMO.

9. gregs656

gregs656 Member

The Munro is a bit too much of a big space for the kind of use it will be put to. I'm really liking the compartments in the Sitka and the BFM, just that little bit easier to keep things organised.

The exchange rate is killing the value of these things though. MaxP stuff is proper money these days and it was never cheap.

10. beachlover

I’ve Just picked up a 5.11 Rush 12 to use as a daypack to carry my DSLR kit. Depending on how much stuff you want to carry I’d say it was ample for a daypack and has useable organisation too. More importantly, it doesn’t cost the earth with a Heinnie discount. :)

11. gregs656

gregs656 Member

I've literally just been looking at the 12. I think it could work for sure.

beachlover likes this.
  12. beachlover

I had one years ago and didn’t like it as I tend to hang a daysack off one shoulder and the harness doesn’t work terribly well for that, but as an indestructible daysack I can’t see it being beaten.

13. gregs656

gregs656 Member

The 24 I think would be too big.

I'm out of here on June 14th so I will pick one up between now and then. Picked up a Farpoint 80 couple of weeks back, not sure what it is about Osprey but I don't ever love their gear, although the 80 is ideally suited to what I want - a suitcase in a backpack.

14. beachlover

I’ve got a Farpoint 40 and superficially it does for weekends, I’m not keen on it either.
    For a large Osprey pack the Aether carries really well and works well as a travel bag because of the way it opens. To take it on a plane it needs an Airporter though.
    For a large travel bag I doubt you can beat a large travel bag and North Face or the cheap and bomb froof deployment bag will more than suffice.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  15. gregs656

gregs656 Member

The North Face ones are ok, but the Osprey really opens up well. I've got a pussers grip and they're alright as well but would be 100% better if they had more than a single central zip, they're ok on the back but not great.

The Farpoint is ideal really they're just a bit 'meh'. Hopefully I won't be living out of it for too long.

beachlover likes this.
  16. minds_eye

minds_eye Subscribed Member

I really rate Camelbak packs if you can find one that fits your needs. The 500d makes them a wee bit lighter and allows them to compress better when light loaded. My current 32L work pack (2017 miltac urban assault) carries a small load in a lower profile package than many 20L packs. It has a laptop sleeve though which I assume isn’t a requirement https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/M01016--Urban_Assault?color=d3d9ceb5d9964eae9bd790590affbe17

(That was £100, new, off eBay)

Camelbak miltac Hawg is a laegr 22 litres and a good profile, with organisation. 500d so robust without being over heavy. £120 in the U.K. issue is maybe the lack of bottle pockets. - review here: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/2015-camelbak-h-a-w-g-mil-tac.130597/

Otherwise the Motherlode is a good shout, again if you don’t need bottle pockets

I quite like the karrimor SF sabre 35 (30 litres plus side pockets) which is pretty compressible. The Delta is more of a panel loader design if that tickles your fancy

Delta (25 or 35 )- https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_...SF-Sabre-Delta-25-Litre-Rucksack-Olive-Green/

Sabre - https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/594-Karrimor-SF-Sabre-35-Litre-Rucksack-Olive-Green/

Both can be had cheaper.

My current favourite is the Deuter Groden 32. It strikes a great balance between lightweight and durable enough to take a kicking. Plenty of organisation and a mesh airgap back. My only hesitation is that you mention you like to carry on one shoulder and for that it may be awkward, due to the airgap -https://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/hiking/groden-32/

You might want to check out the XB series from them.

Osprey Talon 33 is also in my quiver and tends to get used for more vertical persuits. This is the most comfortable pack I own, partly due to the back system that’s adjustable for height. This thing compresses down to nothing but balloons to take a lot of gear. Only potential issue is it’s not exactly discrete for every day carry.

bagman, noddy and beachlover like this.
  17. fast but dim

fast but dim Subscribed Member

I've got the sabre delta 25 and 35...they're good packs, and carry really well loaded or empty, but are lacking in pockets for organising your gear.

I miss having somewhere for hats, snacks and gloves, but I make do by using stuff sacks inside the main compartment.

18. gregs656

gregs656 Member

While I was deciding I messaged someone about a Falcon and I think I've got it.

I agree with the quality of Camelbak bags, but I'm not sure they do one which quite fits what I want. I did look at the HAWG. The Sitka is currently very full so looking forward to having a bit more space in what ever I get.

19. beachlover

Just stumbled upon this pack via EDC Forums. and it ticks most of my boxes I think, but probably over £200 to get one into the UK :sad01:

20. minds_eye

minds_eye Subscribed Member

There’s a new one due soon. I was really tempted to give the first Gen one a go. Ended up getting the Camelbak urban assault 2017 model but this is still attractive. Reading around it a little it seems like the standard model is a little awkward for taller folks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    beachlover likes this.