1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Backpacks of the 30ish litre variety

Discussion in 'Outdoors Gear Discussion' started by gregs656, Mar 19, 2018.

1. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

2. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

beachlover likes this.
  3. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

4. gregs656

gregs656 Member

5. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Tousled somewhat by life's recent travails, kit concerns have become a fleeting solace. Since the Kif Urban and the GoRuck have more or less eliminated the requirement for any new thought on my part regarding a bag for all seasons, I find that my thinking has shifted its general tenor in the interim.

Things occupying my thoughts at present … though obviously not exclusively ... include these three:

I have been using the dearest wife’s Filson tote for erranding recently. Her's has no zip and is also slightly smaller than this one here, the zippered version. More of a shoulder bag than a tote, at about 25L I can get work stuff plus lunch plus gym gear in it. The four external pockets are absolutely effing marvelous for brollies, phones, newspapers, novels and all other things that don’t strictly need to be inside the security zone. This is very high on the maybe list. There is a tan one and green one that I like. But, cycling to work with it will be an adventure.

[​IMG]

Another strong contender is this very beautiful Vermilyea Pelle briefcase in black bridle leather with a leather base & zip plus a Japanese black selvedge twill. For heavier days at work getting in at 7.30 and not expecting to be leaving til 8.00 … i.e. screw the gym or indeed doing anything else than heading to a bar or home to a fat eat and telly. I went and looked at the Filson briefcase in a shop for comparison and that one is at once too unshaven and too fussy. I feel this one hits the spot. Rolled handles are an option. It might stand in for my now ancient and much used early 90s Texier.

[​IMG]

Whether the one perfect backpack issue is resolved or not, I’ll never turn my nose up at a foldable, lightweight kind of stuffsack-on-your-back sort of item. This is a Tom Bihn Daylight; 16.5L. The voices say it is way sturdier than it looks, and that maybe so as I have heard many kind remarks about Tom Bihn’s stuff. Though I think I may wait until a chance to look at one in person offers itself.

[​IMG]
    As I was much moved by them, I did also go look at a Filson duffle .. actually two; the small and medium. Whilst handsome in its particular way, and well-made of good stuff, for practicalities beyond luggage, it is crap; lacks any organization and dances round your backside like it needs to take a pee.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  6. snappingturtle

snappingturtle Member

and dances round your backside like it needs to take a pee........:lol:

7. Fraser

Fraser Subscribed Member

The weather was minging on Sunday, so I pottered about in the attic tidying up for a while. I found a Salewa daysack I'd bought a few years back but hadn't used much; it's too small for my outdoor needs, and has a whole load of straps that are a total faff when using it for commuting. A half an hour with a razor and a pair of shears and it's now much more streamlined, and about 400g lighter than before. There's a wire reinforced plastic back panel that can come out, saving another chunk of weight, but I quite like the back stiffening so it stays put for the time being.

I'll give it a go for a few weeks, but so far it's a huge improvement.

bagman and beachlover like this.