1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Bark River Aurora. (CPM 3V)

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews' started by Wihglah, May 28, 2017.

1. Wihglah

Wihglah Member

I just got this through the post, shipped from KSF by UPS (which cost a fortune). I got nobbled for import duty and VAT as well..

The knife feels awesome in the hand. I realise the scales are a bit out there - but I wanted something unusual and I'm not a big fan of natural materials anyway.
    Out of the box it's a razor. and the build quality is very good - not exceptional, but very good. The Corby pins are almost flat to the scales (you can just feel them if you try hard), the sabre/convex blade is ground perfectly and the length feels just right for wood processing.

The belly may be a little shallow for field dressing of larger game efficiently, but I am sure it will work. The spine is sharp and strikes a ferrorod nicely.

The sheath is a tad unimpressive. It's a simple friction fit affair and does what it says on the tin. Light weight and minimalist is the best description - no dangler (which would be my preferred carry). The knife is certainly not going anywhere once it's in.

I made the Ferrorod myself, it's an exact match to the scales and fits the sheath loop perfectly.
    This is my first CPM-3V blade, so I am looking forward to trying it out in a few weekends time, more news then.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bushwacker

bushwacker Subscribed Member

You'll know its yours.
    I quite like it.

3. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

Be hard to lose that. :D
    I've had a few BR knives over the years and while their QC can be random, if you get a good one they are nice knives even if their sheaths aren't the best. I'm glad to see the sheaths have improved a bit though. Personally, I always found the handles a bit small for my admittedly large hands.
    I once had a Koster bushcrafter in CPM3V and it's one of only a few knives I'd snap up again in a heartbeat.
    Look forward to seeing how you get on with it long-term. :)

4. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

Agreed. Generally pretty good blades and bloody sharp. Although a lot of the knives seem to be about 80% scale and thus a bit small.

Would like another Mikro though.

5. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

I reckon the Canadian range were their best knives. Cracking little things.

6. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

I've still got a Mikro and a Highland special, both of which I like. Pity about the leather work though.

7. noddy

noddy Member

I have had a few Barkies over time .. lots of small ones and the OMF knife in blue micarta is one I regret selling on. Had an affection for the mikro too

I like the Aurora's looks and rep.

I have a City Knife, a Mini Montana and a 1.5 Bravo; all of which i have a great deal of time for, especially since I thought sod it and started to carry a small fixie as edc on occasion.

Handles always need some work .. the one on the Montana is straightforwardly square :lol:

8. Wihglah

Wihglah Member

Update.
    I spent the weekend at the Woodland Ways Bushcraft School (Friday evening to Sunday midday) and gave the Aurora a bit if a work out.
    Before I go on, I made some adaptations to the sheath - adding a D ring and a dangler loop made from 25mm webbing - simple sewing job. I also gave it 4 coats of sno-seal.
    [​IMG]
    I also gave the blade a mirror polish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I batoned a fair bit of fire wood, started the odd fire, gutted a trout, made an 'A' frame shelter and generally used the knife at every opportunity.
    It came back having performed flawlessly and has no edge rolls or chips and is still hair popping sharp.
    Hurray for convex grinds.
    The handle is extremely comfortable and offered good purchase during the food 'prep'.
    I had to remove the lanyard I made though - soaked in fish guts.....

bushwacker, beachlover and noddy like this.
  9. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Total agreement. I had a Mikro and Special, I was kind of in the right territory with those knives, I really wanted the Canadian Camp Special but it never happened.

10. benp1

benp1 Member

I'm a big fan of the OMF, cracking little knives. All of my Barkies it's the only one I've kept and still use (and the proportion of my collection that I use these days is relatively small now)

beachlover likes this.
  11. noddy

noddy Member

I keep meaning to pick up a Lil Carver as a stand in, and will before too long.

(Hi Ben)