1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Buffalo Mitts - Disappointment.

Discussion in 'Outdoors Gear Discussion' started by beachlover, Jan 8, 2018.

1. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

Following on from buying a Buffalo Jacket, I recently bought a pair of their mitts. I've only worn them once and they are now split and falling apart. :sad03:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll probably just fix them with tenacious tape because I can't be arsed to faff about with the retailer and it's not big money, but pretty poor quality looking at how little material was held by the stitching. :(

2. warrenbond

warrenbond Subscribed Member

Shit that Kev iv had some Buffalo mitts for ages and not had any problems.
    You should get in touch with Buffalo I think they would want to know

beachlover likes this.
  3. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

Knock offs getting into the legitimate retail sector?

4. beachlover

I did wonder, but it's a reputable retailer and all packaged and labelled as they should be. I just cant be bothered with the rigmarole of sending back to the retailer for them to forward on to Buffalo and for them to decide on a replacement that will no doubt arrive after the cold spell. I'll bodge a repair and they'll do, but it's a dent in my current strategy to buy British or European wherever I can. I'm also regretting giving my sealskins to my son-in-law! I should have just bought the ex-MOD mitts and ignored the weight I think.

5. noddy

noddy Member

Oh not as expected. I am sure they’ll replace them though

There’s quite good sales here and I just scored a pair of Hestra army Goretex gloves for lots less than their usual mad prices. The choice was between these and a pair of Black Diamond Guides. Which are very great too.

These are both leather and goretex construction, available as five finger, two finger and mitt variations and at different prices. Removable/replaceable liners. The goretex adds a lot to the price of the Hestras and their other gloves (designed for colder, drier snow) are much more affordable. I can’t recommend them enough, partly because Hestras at size 10 fit like they were made for me. When you put them on you can’t really imagine how you are going to wear them out ... dexterous too .... well, for what they are

6. Quarterstaff

Quarterstaff Member

That's a shame. I'd email Buffalo the images Kev, I'm sure they'd be interested, as Warren mentioned.

+1 for Hestra's :)

7. Stuart Mitchell

Stuart Mitchell Moderator Staff Member

I'd be getting in touch with Buffalo, Kev...

Send photos, as much info as you have, tell them you are going to tape them up because you need to wearing them right now but you'll be back in touch in a few weeks, at which time you'd like them swapping...

Nowt to lose really... :)

Templogin, bagman and beachlover like this.
  8. Templogin

Templogin Subscribed Member

What he said. Never be afraid to give company’s feedback, good or bad. Most worth dealing with want you to have a good experience.

9. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that our Kev's afraid of much; I get the impression that he can't be fucking arsed.:D

beachlover likes this.
  10. Templogin

11. beachlover

In the great scheme of things that is my life at present it’s rating pretty low on the list. I’ve saved the pics, tenacious taped the mitt and won’t fuss about using them. I might shoot an email to Buffalo just to let them know that my next pair of mitts won’t be from them and to give them a heads up that perhaps their QC needs looking at.

Quarterstaff likes this.
  12. Templogin

Good man!

13. beachlover

Just don’t absolve me from being a lazy twat though. It’s rare I get compliments!

14. Clipper

Clipper Member

1980s ..... anyone remember Mitt Kitts by TOR Outdoor Pursuits in Runcorn? They were reasonably simple to put together. I made reusable card templates, small and medium, and must have made half a dozen pairs for myself and others over the years. TOR still appears to exist though I'm not sure they still do the kits.

Ah, but Pennine Outdoor will sell you their L01 Leaflet - Mits, Stuff Sacks and other items - http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/leaflets - for £1.95 . I'm sure they stock suitable fabrics too.

The third big name for outdoor performance fabrics was Point North, Anglesea, though the web tells me they now operate out of Tattenhall Cheshire.

Back in the day, they were my three main suppliers.

bagman, Templogin, MaC and 1 other person like this.
  15. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

I made all of those for Himself, then designed patterns that suited him for fleeces, etc., I did use their cagoule patterns for the boys though.

Funnily enough, those old fleeces are still being used. I made them in the early 1980's, we weren't even living in this house then, so they really are ancient, and they've had an enormous amount of use. He won't let me throw them out :roll: and they're still his first choice to pack/wear for hillwalking.

TOR patterns were good though; they said they used them themselves so they knew what worked. Point North were excellent for fabrics and notions to suit.
    eBay makes it easy nowadays, but we didn't have eBay back then.

M

Clipper likes this.
  16. beachlover

For my birthday, my daughters have bought me some lessons at a sewing class in Brighton for when I'm over there next, so I can get to use a sewing machine and start making stuff. Potentially one of the best presents I've had in a while. My mate, on hearing this has also gifted me a sewing machine that he used to use to make falconry stuff, so I'm presently in the process of acquiring needles, threads and the like for the new venture. Christ, I already even have my own sewing box!!! :O

bagman, noddy and BorderReiver like this.
  17. noddy

noddy Member

Yes, I was most unsure of what was being signalled when I first put together a sewing box :lol:

bagman likes this.
  18. beachlover

I hesitated about mentioning the sewing machine lessons for precisely the same reason. More so because they are in bloody Brighton!!

19. warrenbond

warrenbond Subscribed Member

Mother in law gave me one a few weeks ago I'm still waiting for my wife to show me how to use it .
    I'm not sure I want anymore hobbies .... would be nice to be able to make a few stuff sacks though.
    Post pics Kev when you start making stuff might inspire me to make something .

20. beachlover

It was seeing some of the ultralight guys knocking up stuff and the likes of Bilmo on BCUK and retro outdoor gear groups that reminded me I'd once knocked up a bivvi bag in the eighties on a sewing machine, but clearly forgotten how to use the bloody things. Keep your eyes peeled for the "Brighton Tutu" thread. :D