1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Curry

Discussion in 'Forage and Feast' started by noddy, Sep 19, 2017.

1. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

So, it is weird the things an ex-pat craves. I found Yorkshire Gold tea, MacVities digestiv s, HP sauce, Mortons mushy peas ... various things

What I need now is the curry sauce. Imagine you are in Caroline Street in 1983. It's gone midnight by a mile. Go to a chip shop get a large tray of chxips covered in a layer of chicken off the bone then curry sauce.

What is that chip shop curry sauce?

2. RickDastardly

RickDastardly Subscribed Member

Hmmm... fish, chips 'n' curry sauce!

Basically, cheap medium generic madras curry powder with added apple and onion, maybe a little extra garlic and ginger to taste. Soften the apple, onion etc in a little oil first, add the curry powder and some flour for thickening, mix and make it up with vegetable or chicken stock instead of plain water. Simmer until ready.

I usually can't be bothered making it and buy Sharwood's Chinese curry sauce. Even Bisto do one but I haven't tried that.

3. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

We can buy the stuff as a powder that you just mix up like custard powder, bring to the boil and that's it done.

If you want to do a DIY version, then you need Madras curry powder, salt, cornflour and hot water. That's it.
    It's much the better, and richer though, for having a little butter stirred through it and some garlic paste too. If you use milk instead of water it'll be a creamier sauce, and a little tomato paste and a shake of chilli powder changes it into another really simple curry paste.

Great for camp cooking :)

4. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I use the powder, got it from eBay I think.

5. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

They're selling it for under a two pounds for 400g in Home Bargains just now too.

"Chip Shop Curry Powder".

It's exactly why Indians think British Curry is dreadful, and why we all love it on our chips, yet relish 'real' curry when we can get it/make it :)

M

GeoffW likes this.
  6. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Had a go and seem to have nailed it in one. Lots of big bits of onion and peas. Some star anise. Added shrimps and poured it over chips with white pepper and vinegar. Cor!

Then I turned to scoffing ginger nuts with half a bottle of Glenlivet whilst watching the first few episodes of Deadwood. Something like heaven after a many mile hike in the day. :):)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017