1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Fishing off a SUP

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Stew, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Stew

Stew Member

Now I know not many (if any) of you have used a SUP / Stand Up Paddleboard but I know some of you fish. Someone at BCUK was asking about fishing off a kayak and it got me thinking about doing the same off my SUP.
    I'm mainly thinking when I'm down off the coast of Brittany this summer but there may be occasional opportunities to be in UK waters - the UK is less of a concern!
    First off, likely to be reasonable to expect to catch anything in August?
    I'm not thinking of kitting out with lots of gear as really I don't want to do too much but figure that I need something vaguely right. So I'm thinking just a basic hand line that can either be used by me casting out from the board or tied on to the board and towed behind while paddling (trolling?)
    For the handline itself, I wondered on this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...18f-4d1e-8ad8-27a1ba98279d&pd_rd_i=B01C8MFZYI
    But drill a couple of holes through the flat section of handle so I can attach it to the board with some elastic cord.

Clearly I would need something else at the hook end ( I don't want to faff with bait) so switch to a spinner or other style? Size of hook etc?

Is a 20lb line reasonable too?

Anything else I would need?

I know this might just sound like a total noob set of questions because it is. I really just want to have a play about but want to make sure I'm vaguely in with a chance with sizes of bits, etc. I'm not expecting to catch anything!

2. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

I used to fish with a handline from a kayak when I was a kid. Often got a good result with 50lb braided line and a bunch of feathers.

I have been on one of those stand up board things too .. fun it was, in a walking on water kind of way ... I just think trying to haul in a 30lb ling or even just accidentally trawling through a shoal of mackerel would be hilarious to watch from the shoreline :lol:

3. Stew

Stew Member

Yeah, I'm conscious that I might need to be sat or on knees if I don't want to be swimming! :D

noddy likes this.
  4. Saint-Just

Saint-Just Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

That is all

bushwacker and beachlover like this.
  5. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Oh, hoverboards are much more fun :D

6. Gower Ranger

Gower Ranger Moderator Staff Member

I SUP but haven't tried fishing off mine. My mate does, with a handline and a netting bag hanging off a belt round his waist.

Depending on your board, you can get aftermarket cargo-bungies to mount to the deck, which might be helpful for stowing kit.

7. Stew

Stew Member

My inflatable has bungies up front already but my hard board doesn't. I would want to leave it clear too.

Good to hear of someone else fishing from one. Does he catch anything,

8. Gower Ranger

Gower Ranger Moderator Staff Member

Oh yes.

9. paul hardwick

paul hardwick Member

If you hooked anything of any size you would be in big trouble, and off the SUP.

beachlover likes this.
  10. bushwacker

bushwacker Subscribed Member

Can you film it if you hook a big one please.:shark:

beachlover likes this.
  11. Stew

Stew Member

And the award for stating the obvious goes to..... :D

12. Stew

Stew Member

Yeah, of course! Gave it a go already by leaving a line attached while paddling around. Caught nothing (no surprise) but the beauty of not actually needing to do anything once set is good. Was paranoid about snagging other paddlers tough..

13. Simon

Simon Member

Depends, good enough balance and grip and you could surf :D