1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

From Heinie Haynes, I know it's political, but....

Discussion in 'General Chat and Gossip' started by MaC, Oct 7, 2017.

1. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

It's difficult isn't it? I'm glad I've cut right down to users, but that said I can see one-handed openers and flippers going, so I'm wondering about the couple of Spydies I have.

Laters likes this.
  2. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

I've not seen you before---Welcome to ROF.:D

Laters likes this.
  3. Laters

Laters Subscribed Member

Thanks, I do a lot of reading and watching but very little posting. I used to do the same over on BB :nod:

I was on a hiatus from sharp things for a while & I have decided that some of what I sold I wished I hadn't..

Its time for the "collection" to be rearranged into a smaller amount of users and more that are the collection for collecting & not using.

With the realisation that I sold one of my grail knives a while ago & kept a good few users to be used in the pocket rotation that just don't get used. (Time for me to start a thread on that at some point)

4. beachlover

Fire away with the thread. Surprisingly, or perhaps not in the circumstances, there hasn't been much in the way of knifey talk here. :)

5. beachlover

Lots of gnashing of teeth and wailing about this on the other channels now it appears......

6. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

I stirred, Chris agreed and took it a step further, and the Boss said we could :D

7. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Member

It looks like the shite's about to hit the fan.

Without wanting to be too down on it, all the protesting and writing will be a complete waste of time because the new law is already planned out and the wheels are turning. Whatever's going to happen....

BorderReiver and beachlover like this.
  8. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

Even the BBC's at it now.
    In an article on Acid Attacks, there's this totally out of place and context paragraph.

The Home Office is also considering criminal proceedings against online retailers who deliver knives to a buyer's home.

It is hoped the measure would curb the sale of blades to children or teenagers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

9. beachlover

Yep. I agree entirely.

10. BorderReiver

A nice wee distraction from the clusterfuck of Brexit.

noddy and Eighteen12 like this.
  11. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Member

Aye, at least we won't have to worry about new import charges from Europe when everything's banned anyway.

12. beachlover

Just the same as Thatcher letting a prison riot drag on to cover and distract from the poll tax troubles. Tories never change - not that I believe any of the others would behave differently.

One can but hope that "Strong and Stable" gets another coughing fit and the bitch chokes because there is no-one with a pocket knife to perform an emergency tracheotomy.

BorderReiver and Eighteen12 like this.
  13. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I remember an American news report on BB a few years ago involving an elderly lady whose scarf had got caught in an elevator. The security guys had very recently been barred from carrying knives and were shouting out if anyone had one. Nobody did, her scarf asphyxiated her.

For the want of the simplest of tools. :banghead:

Eighteen12 likes this.
  14. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Right out of the Trump playbook

15. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Member

As you say Rich, it's going to be one wacky law. Unless they make a whole host of exceptions under reasonable cause I can see it either being completely unworkable or many people being prosecuted for simply doing their jobs.

But let's say the law is through and a success with every knife gone, I don't think your average scumbag criminal would pack it in for want of a weapon. He'd probably reach for the nearest thing to hand with either a bit of weight to it or a sharp end on it. What takes me to the fair is the fact that it's a problem which has no end if you want to remove all offensive weapons.

16. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Member

After reading though this and thinking over a beer, it's clean stupid of me not to really consider the businesses & makers involved, I was so caught up with everyday people and knife users.

This will surely destroy all shops with a strong sales in knives like Heinnie Haynes and completely kill knife-makers unless they can move over to something else but what else would there be to make using the same tools and equipment? At best it'll mean a big outlay to buy new materials and gear.

It wouldn't be difficult to get annoyed with these ridiculous new law proposals. But, I'd say we're stumped.

17. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Well, I suppose you could just look at people's websites and then, if you want to buy something from them, write them a letter saying so.

I mean force the issue right underground so it can't be monitored at all, or taxed, or traced in any electronic way, no surveillance or regulation, not a bit ... that'll be the outcome the policy is looking for without a doubt :lol::lol::lol:

18. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Still has to be declared using the postal system Rob. Hellize is sending his knives bound for the US to me to post on, he has to show the actual contents. When it's a knife, it's a "No". Fuck knows how he's making any money, I'm sending it on by the cheapest means in the hope it arrives and he doesn't have to deal with any fallout.

What a way to run an economy! Well, Tesco is open 24/7, I fancy some cheesecake, anyone need knives? Fucksake!

19. 5teep

5teep Subscribed Member

Seems to me there's a relatively easy way round this legislation though I'm not sure of the costing. The ban if it comes about is to stop "delivery to a residential address".
    eBay uses a PUP system (pick up point) at Argos = not a residential address so HH could for example try a similar approach.

20. BorderReiver

At a cost. Sainsbury won't want to be associated with nasty cutty things either, so that's a non starter.