1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Has anyone tried this Mora ?

Discussion in 'Production Knives' started by Robbi, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

Nice65 likes this.
  2. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I’ve never even seen those. That’s got camp food prep written all over it. I might get one for my kitchen at home, I reckon it could rapidly become a favourite.

Robbi likes this.
  3. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Looks like it had a starring role at the end of Ex-Machina

4. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

exactly my thoughts.

5. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

these have just gone up on Amazon to 26.54 ! that's just over a fiver increase since this morning when I pressed the " yeas please " button !! WOW !

6. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I’ll probably still grab one at some point, maybe Amazon are registering a series of quick hits on the page? The internet isn’t exactly peppered with these for sale, I found another one at £21.64, but with a £10 postage cost, Amazon can charge what they want. I’ve been looking at headphone prices today and they fluctuate all the time, one company was £220, then £239, then £254, finally settling back at £239 depending on the link I entered the site from. It’s like bloody Hotel Trivago.:roll:

7. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

I've heard it said that their algorithm works out from the age and sophistication of your equipment and past buying habits what you can afford, and prices are tailored to what you stretch to. Any possibility of that being done? The equipment I mean, the rest is obvious.

8. Renton

Renton Subscribed Member

Unlikely due to different users getting the same price and price fluctuations for same user.

Some fluctuate due to currency exchange rates.

BorderReiver likes this.
  9. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

I notice Amazon prices are super bizarre .. especially if you use a VPN and move it around (even in-country), also comparing prices with .com, .fr, .ca, .co.uk etc. Canadian prices are the absolute nuttiest. Never have got to the bottom of why. Laughably high.

10. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

To draw a clear and very definite line between Canadians and Americans? I’ve accidentally offended many Canadians, even when in Canada by assuming they’re American, and they truly are offended. Still, this was back a while, but I suspect it’s just a thing.

Economically speaking, I’m clueless. Greg was telling me motor insurance is crazy, hundreds a month. Probably realise he can’t see over the dashboard, even with a cushion. :nod: He desperately wants a Bronco, I reckon he should, for his life scrapbook if nothing else.

Back to the knife, it’s internet presence is very sparse. I can’t think it won’t be a good knife, anyone know if it’s a new one? Let us know your thoughts on it when you get it Rob.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  11. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

It arrived this morning, first impression is it's a long blade, long and quite narrow ( 150mm x 22mm ), the handle is a nice and grippy soft touch rubber type material that will still be grippy in the wet.

It is long....have I said that already ? the size would be ideal as a camp knife if it was heavier, it's that kind of size. My thoughts to use it for food prep are spot on, slicey and stainless work well together and it's long enough to carve a chicken properly. For chopping up Mackerel for sea fishing bait it will excel ! It's much too long to use comfortably as an eating implement but would make short work if used to clear light undergrowth, bushes and sticks.

I hate battening with any knife, this one is long enough to make battening easy but at 2.5mm thick, I'm not sure how it would stand up.

The sheath is at best typical Mora " adequate " and in a dangler style, due to the length of this thing I reckon sitting down may be a bit awkward, a high carry kydex sheaths would be perfect .

Out of the box it's hair shaving sharp with the expected Mora quality fit and finish.

Will I use it ? in the kitchen / camp kitchen most certainly yes, as a bushcraft tool, probably not, it's a bit too long for me.

I think a bit of fun could be had when someone pulls out their Mora Robust.....ideal opportunity to pull out this beast and say.......that's not a Mora.....THIS is a Mora :)

Would I buy another one ? yep, for 20 ish quid it's a quality kitcken knife that will last a lifetime.

BorderReiver and Nice65 like this.
  12. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Ah, the Robust has the girth, most important. :nod:

I like Morakniv more and more, they offer a huge range of pretty much guaranteed quality knives at exceptional prices. That’s a good thing for everyone from youngsters to experienced adults, part timers, fishermen, bushcrafters, casual weekenders.

Much as I love custom knives, Spydercos, BRKTs, special twinkly things, in terms of functionality Mora offer a great deal. It’s taken years and a lot of cash to realise my ‘one’ knife is simply a mirage. Not that it’ll make any difference, I still haven’t got my hands on a BRKT Canadian Camp. But at least I’ll know, homeless and living in a hedge, a Mora will serve me as well.

And I still have one of the Knife Research Molletta designed Rasuls with Ru Ritley custom neon green/black custom scales, a Mike Reid (PITS) 3/4 tang Harris tweed micarta fixed blade beauty, a lovely Rob Evs honey micarta necker, a damasteel Goblin Skinner from Hellize, Cuscadi handled olive/black textured Spyderco PM2, splash anodised Spyderco PITS folder, Griptilian in grey G10 with blue ano, Heinnie Haynes red UKPK arriving tomorrow.

Phew, thought I’d fucking lost it there for a minute. :freak:

13. dogotter

dogotter Member

Yeah, I have some really nice fixed blades but at the moment the mora classic number 2 is my go to! Its nice and thin so you can do food prep, its decent for wood work and weighs bugger all! The downside is that the sheath is pretty crap.

noddy likes this.
  14. BorderReiver

Hello, dogotter, welcome to ROF.:)

dogotter likes this.
  15. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

And from me. For some reason I thought you’d been around a while.

16. dogotter

dogotter Member

I thought I had been around for a while too. I must have imagined it!

17. dogotter

dogotter Member

Oh and hello to you guys too! I really though I had joined ages ago after Geoff told me about this place, but I must have just been lurking..... Sorry!

beachlover likes this.
  18. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Well, it’s not a bad place to have the occasional ‘senior moment’. :)

dogotter and BorderReiver like this.
  19. BorderReiver

You're not my granddaughter!