1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Hound Tor route

Discussion in 'Messing Around Outdoors' started by snappingturtle, May 2, 2019.

1. snappingturtle

snappingturtle Member

There was some routes just to the left I would of liked time on, but happy to give it up to a bunch of kids an instructors out climbing for the day, so I kept with this one as there was no interest for it, but lots of other area's and training moves to try, still was a fine day out, and hiked up to Hay Tor for a warm down, there are some really cool climbs to be had there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    MaC, CaptainBeaky, Bullseye and 4 others like this.
  2. warrenbond

warrenbond Member

Nice one

snappingturtle likes this.
  3. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

Sure is :)

I'm pretty sure my rock scrambling up days are by :/ same with the white water kayaking.....good to see others getting out and about though :)

snappingturtle likes this.
  4. snappingturtle

snappingturtle Member

Thank you! last time I was doing this kind of thing was when I was at school only a few miles from the Tor, now I'm 48 and feel just as capable if not more so, I guess a youthful mind and adventurous life have show to being a good formula.

5. MaC

I think so too, but arthritis and damaged joints disagree :sigh:

M

6. snappingturtle

snappingturtle Member

Sorry to know your beset with such ill's, hope it dose not stop you from roaming that beautiful land of yours at least.

7. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Same here, I’m not too bothered,I’ve done a huge amount of tree climbing and plenty of scrambling in Devon, Dorset, Pesk District, Yorkshire, Wales Southern Ireland. I was basically a see some rocks, must try and climb them child and bloke. Same with beautiful trees. I still see big old Beeches and think they would make a lovely climb. There’s something exciting about getting right up into the thinner branches and using multiple anchor points to spread the weight just to prune out a branch.

What I shall enjoy, is being able to walk further without pain, walk-in camping so I can get to my favourite haunts. Just increased mobility to allow me to appreciate the joys of Spring and Summer and coming home with two exhausted dogs rather than having to play tuggies all evening.

It’s a lovely Tor is that one, as a youngster I’d be getting pretty excited to try my luck at a free climbing that stack. Used to drive my mum mad with worry. :tantrum:

I have to admit a bit of envy, I know how much fun it is. :)

BorderReiver and MaC like this.
  8. MaC

I keep telling folk to get out there and do all you want to while you're young. At least that way the aches and infirmities of getting older don't leave you with quite such frustration and vexation at your younger self.

I am walking again. I never couldn't walk, but I couldn't walk to even the end of the street without wanting to cry. That's settled thankfully, but I have no safe downhill walk, and uphill hurts like hell after quarter of a mile.
    Bit of a bugger when the landscape is pretty much up and down, but well, it's better than no landscape or no walk.

Glad to hear you're feeling confident and anticipating getting out and about again Nice65 :D
    Lovely time of year to recover and regain stamina, isn't it ?

Nice65 likes this.
  9. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

True, it is M. Couple of months and loads of physio should see me right. I wouldn’t mind heading to Devon and admiring the Tor’s again, it’s a lovely county.

MaC likes this.
  10. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

You'll have to move to Norfolk, Mary, very flat, Norfolk.:)

MaC and snappingturtle like this.
  11. snappingturtle

snappingturtle Member

If you see some snowy haired ejit trying his hand at being spider man with a tartan chalk bag, that's more than likely me, do come an say hi!
    Ps, best of fortune with your recovery!

Nice65 and MaC like this.
  12. MaC

Aye, but, how long did it take you to learn the language Mike ? :)

13. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

46 years and still trying, Mary.

MaC likes this.
  14. MaC

I don't think there's another 46 years in me. Maybe, but I doubt I'll be mobile much if there are.

I hate that, I hate that I cannot reliably move me. Thing is I'm too damned stubborn not to move.

M

BorderReiver likes this.
  15. winnet

winnet Member

You also need to have more digits than the national average to fit in properly.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BorderReiver likes this.