1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

iPad upgrade...worth it?

Discussion in 'General Chat and Gossip' started by Nice65, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I’ve been deliberating for ages about getting an iPad with a slightly larger screen, bigger memory, and to prevent my old one gradually becoming worthless.

I’ve been using an iPad Pro 9.7” 128gb 2016 model since it’s release. It’s used many times daily and probably does way more (being Pro) than I’ll ever require or even be aware of. I’m looking at the iPad Air as replacement as it has a slightly bigger screen and better processor. Not much when you look at the numbers, but in the shop the screen size difference is appreciable. I’m noticing watching vids or iPlayer I’m tending to push my glasses up and put the screen closer to my face. Obviously this isn’t my single reason to consider dropping large money on a new device, but it’s a part of it. My Pro is in very good nick, is still quite well specced, and a sale will knock a good size chunk off the cost of a replacement Air.

Otherwise the two are very similarly specced, the PPI resolution and display are the same. Both have a 3.5mm jackplug socket for decent sound quality with headphones or other auxiliary devices. The Air loses the screen bevels and home button to allow the bigger display. I haven’t upgraded anything Apple in ages, it’s all got too boring. Any major differences I’m missing? Prods in either direction welcomed. No I’m not going to sling it all out and start on Android devices, I’ve not got the hang of this iOS and OS thing yet but I’m well on my way. :)

2. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Got no views on iPads, but this last MacBook pro I got from work feel s like the last one I am going to get, I think. Not exactly a POS, but it hangs up, runs out of memory, keyboard is awkward, needs software updates every thirty minutes ... thinking of trading with my eldest to get the other on e back. Mind it is super light.

3. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Memory is one of the things. Of what I considered to be a whopping 128gb, I have about 14gb left. Ok, I could do a fair bit of housekeeping, delete unused apps, bits of video and pics, but the app sizes and software update sizes are getting bigger and more cumbersome all the time. Once the memory gets bloated, things get clunky, freeze, take a while. If I do upgrade I’m going to have to spend an evening spring cleaning and back it up to the MacBook.

It’s an odd thing, having to upgrade to a faster processor to cope with general untidyness and bloating. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. Saint-Just

Saint-Just Moderator Staff Member

You could start by doing the tidying now. Then you will reassess. There is always a satisfaction in getting a new toy (so I won’t try and stop you) but sometimes you have to consider the law of diminishing returns.
    By clearing and reassessing, you’re giving yourself a chance to make your choice based on more solid evidence.

5. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

The new Air with the 10.5" screen is pretty good, but if you shop around, you can find the 2nd gen Pro with the 10.5" screen for less money (256Gb). The Air has both speakers on one side which makes watching movies in landscape mode a pain.

I am in a similar dilema, as I want one for music production and the Gen 2 Pro seems better value and only loses out in processing power by a miniscule amount, but makes up for it with more RAM.

Nice65 likes this.
  6. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Good points both. :)

The speaker positioning in my old Pro is perfect as they’re on both sides, so that’s definitely a negative if I upgrade to either Air.

I’ll have a clear out of old apps and stuff tonight.

7. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I’m also just realising the local branch of Curry’s where I went to look at the new iPads showed me an iPad with no home button and much thinner edges than the versions with the home button and said it was the Air. I reckon they’ve showed me a Pro by mistake. That makes quite a difference to any decision.

8. Andylaser

Yes, its the new Pro that has no home button and unlocks via face recognition.
    The new pro is also overly bendable due to its "improved thinness" which is not a good characteristic.

On the other hand, if they accidently sell you a new pro for Air money then its Happy Christmas. :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  9. Andylaser

10. Andylaser

I am also wondering if its worth hanging on for the new years sales which will probably start on Christmas eve.

BorderReiver likes this.
  11. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

That’s too close to call really, I get what you mean. I think, ultimately, I’m looking for two things, a slightly bigger screen and a more efficient processor. Both of those have that.

12. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

FWIW - the speakers on this 13" MacBook Pro are amazing - really good detail, separation etc, and improved if you place things behind it strategically to bounce the sound a bit. But the touchbar is a waste of time - unless I just haven't worked out where all the tricks are kept. Might look into some more memory if that's possible to fit. But, it is also, like Andy suggests, prone to the problems of lightness and thinness .. keyboard gets sticky sometimes, keys mark the screen a bit. On the other hand, often enough, it runs like a dream

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  13. Saint-Just

Saint-Just Moderator Staff Member

The touchbar will be a betamax-alike
    Unless developers use it it will go the way of the dodo.
    A touchscreen would be much, much better.

This from a lifelong Macuser.

Nice65 likes this.
  14. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

My boss has a touchscreen .... sublime

15. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Mine are bloody good too. I got the Maccer just prior to the touchbar being introduced on the next model. Impressive machine, hardly gets used. The speakers on the iPad Pro are pretty good, 4 in all.

16. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Erm, I’ve been a bit quiet about this. I kinda liked the Pro I was shown by a poorly trained Curry’s employee who said it was the Air. I went back in with my 9.7” Pro, and compared with the 10.5” Air and the 11” Pro. The Pro it is, for its screen size, speakers, and a load of other stuff. I’ve dropped around what I’d have paid for the Air as deposit and have 12 fairly painless monthly payments to make. :)

BorderReiver likes this.
  17. Andylaser

I dont like the lack of home button on the new pro so hope that doesnt annoy you too much. Although USB-C is a good improvement over lightning.

18. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Agreed. It’s a worry, using the home button to return from page 8 of apps, double clicking to open up google and Safari pages, or taking a screenshot is second nature. The thinner bezels are lovelier for it, but I imagine my thumbs will creep onto the screen and change something accidentally. It’ll take a bit of getting used to, and it’s definitely going to annoy me for a while. In terms of looks this is the iPhone 5 from the 4. I didn’t like the iPhone 5 initially with its blocky design, but it really grew on me. Best iPhone ever I reckon.

No headphone jack either, they should have kept that, given the Pros quality when it comes to music programmes, I don’t know a DJ or budding musician who thinks Bluetooth is anywhere near as good to listen to. There are adaptors that fit the USB-C so it’s not a dealbreaker, plus I’m fine with Bluetooth for my needs. USB-C ought to be industry standard, it’s so much better than the micro plugs and sockets.

I’ll see how I go. I may well end up buying the keypad for it and selling the MacBook Pro which is becoming redundant and would free up some cash.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  19. Andylaser

Agreed on the slab sided design. I had an iphone 5 and loved the look and feel of it. I prefer this to the rounded edges. Omitting the headphone was silly. Apparently done to make it thinner, but then they need to add a lump to fit the camera which totally destroys the thinness. If you want to recharge it and power it at the same time, you need a handfull of dongles and adaptors, which also destroys the neat look.

There is a nice aftermarket hub available for it though. :)

Nice65 likes this.
  20. Andylaser