1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Maserin Scout

Discussion in 'Production Knives' started by beachlover, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

The light stonewash finish on the blade is my only tiny gripe, I’ve seen too many Sanrenmu type knives with it. It even puts me off a Ritter Grip, I just don’t like it. On D2, a semi-stainless, it might show corrosion after a while.

I’ll be polishing the edge, not sure I’ll do the whole blade though, this one will be a user.

I’ll take some pics of the green one tomorrow to almost complete the set.

2. dkonopinski

dkonopinski Subscribed Member

First I catalogue them. Then I clean and oil them. Then I handle and fiddle with them. After that, in this case, the edge will get some tlc. After that it'll go into the right drawer for a few days before it comes out to play in the edc world. Then we will start to get to know each other. Then who knows?
    David

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

3. dkonopinski

I guess it's worth a mention that I have just been cleaning and oiling mine. You know when the blade flexes the spring and pushes it out? Well in most cases the exposed sides of the spring are black and mucky. Not in this case. Clean as a whistle, although why a whistle is a benchmark for cleanliness I have no idea.
    Nearly the weekend.
    David

bushwacker, beachlover and noddy like this.
  4. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

A good whistle will produce a clear, clean, perfect tone every time, a term used in our family when we were children to describe a properly wiped bottom. Doesn’t apply to pea whistles, or bottoms with peas in.

I was due to post some pics of the green one today, but I lost it. Found this evening on top of a bowl of kiwi fruits, exactly where I left it after breakfast. :roll:

5. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Here we go at last. Blade entering is perfect on this one, it’s my morning fruit prepper and general edc at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beach bum, dkonopinski and beachlover like this.
  6. dkonopinski

Agreed. This knife would look really amazing with a shiny blade to throw some highlights. Not necessarily mirror polish, but it would look a lot better.

I have MecArmy EK3R in stainless which I'm just getting to know. Very sharp blade in 12c27, but both blade and handle are stonewashed. Drabsville. Apart from that it's a good, does-the-job knife which I shall use.

I can see the advantage of low-reflecting metal in certain circumstances, but it does lose out on looks.

Nice knife. no cigar.

David

beachlover likes this.
  7. dkonopinski

For the record it has been in my pocket for a couple of weeks now and been useful mainly with cardboard packaging, bits of trimming while decorating #2 son's bathroom, this and that outdoors and cutting the dogs Whimzee sticks in two (they ain't cheap). It has been fine. One plus is that the dreaded adhesive from plastic packing tape seems to be easier to clean off the stonewash blade. Maybe it simply doesn't stick as aggressively as it does on a smoother surface.

David