1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

My most recent deer success

Discussion in 'Shooting' started by mirage, Dec 14, 2016.

1. mirage

mirage Subscribed Member

I arrived on the farm at about 0640. Sunrise was at 0716.

I soon saw two muntjac at a lasered 166 yards. Unfortunately they were standing one directly in front of the other, so a bullet exiting No.1 would have struck No.2. When they finally moved off, of course it was away from me. D'oh!

As I was watching them, a fox ran into sight, but at over 300 yards away. It ran off into crops.

I walked along the 30-acre field hedge, then into the field and along it to the spinney near the pond. I
    disturbed a muntjac in the cover crops my landowner has planted immediately to the north of the spinney. It ran off through the cover crop.

As I began to walk back towards the car, I saw 2 Chinese Water Deer walking west to east along the tree line beyond the pond, about 550 yards away to my north. I watched them intermittently.

One of these two CWD then began to walk towards me across the open field, and skirted around the east side of the bullrush pond.

[​IMG]

My firing point, from the deer's POV

He was obviously aware of me, but seemed to want to walk back to the spinney behind me. I went up on my quad sticks. I lasered the near edge of the bullrush pond at 166 yards (again...)

[​IMG]

The deer's location 166 yards away

I dialled the Schmidt & Bender up from 6x to 12x and waited, but the CWD seemed content to browse the edge of the pond, or was too nervous to risk approaching me. When he presented a good broadside shot, I fired.

TIisssh- pok! In a new experience for me he leapt into the air, then ran a couple of paces away from me into the pond area.

I waited for five minutes, then approached. I found paint and pins, then a blood trail:

[​IMG]

Paint & pins

He was dead a few feet into the pond:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have to keep your farmer's fridge stocked!

[​IMG]

Note: Photofuckit are blackmailing all of us to go to paid subs. Fuck 'em in the lungs.

I have edited the post to include one pic from PostImage, just to show what's what re the update below. (11.7.17)

mirage

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    trixx, juabbo, fast but dim and 3 others like this.
  2. Gower Ranger

Gower Ranger Moderator Staff Member

Good one.

Do you get any of the venison?

3. mirage

mirage Subscribed Member

No, it was high time that my farmer got a feed!

I did notice that a CWD is significantly easier to skin than a munty. Odd, that.

mirage

4. NOTSHARP

NOTSHARP Subscribed Member

Nicely done. :clap:

I've never seen a CWD in the flesh, so to speak. Never shot a Munty, either. They are well known for being a wee bit reluctant to part with their skin.:roll: Grey squirrel is also a bugger to skin, especially so if it's an old one.

Steve.

5. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

I have never shot a deer before.

You shot it from a really long distance. Good job.

6. jaggededge

jaggededge Member

all smoke n mirrors.

7. trixx

trixx Administrator Staff Member

Probably for the best if all you have is an airsoft sniper rifle.

...for an airsoft gun, sure. 166 yards is decent shot considering the size of the deer but it isn't exceptional.

Dr Gonzo, NOTSHARP and beachlover like this.
  8. trixx

trixx Administrator Staff Member

Good one Scott.

You've probably shot more deer than I have this year!

9. mirage

mirage Subscribed Member

A strange update on this one: I passed the hide of this CWD to an acquaintance whom I met at the rifle range, Seb Keightley. It transpires that Seb's job is making theatrical props, set dressing etc. He has a video channel on YouTube, and has made a video about tanning this very hide.

You might find it entertaining to watch. I did:

mirage

PS: I have updated the original post to include one pic to show the carcase as obtained.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017