1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Agony Uncle Not well :/

Discussion in 'General Chat and Gossip' started by MaC, Dec 15, 2019.

1. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

For @MaC and all those suffering the effects of the current Christmas virus.

[​IMG]

BorderReiver, MaC and Saint-Just like this.
  2. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

:D

I'm up, I'm washed, I'm dressed, I ache, ye Gods but I ache, every joint is aching. The stuffed sinus' and hacking cough are back again too.
    This thing's like a superball that keeps bouncing.

Christmas? bah humbug!....actually I have humbugs, I've been avoiding sugar, but sooking on and chewing a mint humbug might not be a bad idea right now :)

M

BorderReiver and beachlover like this.
  3. bushwacker

bushwacker Subscribed Member

I have it so does my youngest son, when I noticed my single malt dropped from nearly full to empty he informed me it was 'medicinal'

MaC, BorderReiver and beachlover like this.
  4. MaC

Thank heavens for Son1's girlfriend who calmly dealt with Christmas :D
    I hope she determins to keep him, because I like her :D

Total chill out time now, everyone's home, we have enough leftovers to feed us for a week :roll: and enough booze to last until next Christmas.
    We have stacks of presents all over the place :D and I'm still coughing and feeling rough.

I'm going to break out the Glayva :)

I hope your festivities have been suitably merry and the company grand :D

M

Brian T, Saint-Just and BorderReiver like this.
  5. Templogin

Templogin Subscribed Member

I have posted this on another forum, so you might as well share in my misfortune / good fortune, made easier by a partner with a heart of gold.

Dear Ms Temp

Thank you for being there for me, especially today, xmas day.

You were there for me yesterday when I realised at 19:35 that I had not brought the meds I need each day, you offering to cycle the 36 miles round trip back to my place to pick up my meds, as we don’t need a car, and I only tax the motorbike for 6 months of the year, and this is not one of those months. The 21:10 bus might run, though I doubt it, but if it does I suspect that the driver might have to bring it back to Lerwick so I will ask him if I can get back on the bus when he comes back around the loop. If the bus doesn’t run I will ride the pushbike that has been cluttering up your lounge for the last 6 weeks or so.

The bus didn’t run.

This morning I wouldn’t hear of your protestations that due to your strict daily exercise regime, (and no mention of my pie eating), that you should cycle the route. This was my error and I was going to put it right, no matter how much I knew I would struggle. I was certainly not going to pay one of the local taxi companies to take me there and back. After all, this bike is an e-bike and will offer considerable assistance.

Everything was going well. I had scoffed a large bowl of porage, and dropped the kids off at the pool. The twins really are growing, then puffed on a spare inhaler. The weather was particularly good with a very light WNW wind, it’s lightness would hardly impede my mostly northerly outward journey. You helped me load up the bike with the tools and spare tubes, and the panniers with two battery chargers, so that I could charge the batteries and return quicker.

Off I set, donned in my waterproofs, ready to take on the challenge with hope in my heart. Leaving Lerwick and moving into the countryside, not even two miles from your place I started to feel odd. I seemed to be running out of energy. How was this possible? I cranked up the power assistance from 25% to 50%, but continued only a couple of hundred yards before I had to stop. The problem seemed to be with my stomach, the porage was not going down properly. Not an unusual issue for me as I have motility problems along with reflux. I stopped for 5 minutes, hoping that the feeling would pass. A passing cyclist, neck to ankle in lycra, looking young and fit, wished me a good day as he passed. When the odd feelings lessened I set off again, but only travelled a few hundred yards to the junction with the main road north, surprisingly busy for xmas day. I joined the main road, but within a few yards realised that I was going to have to get off the bike otherwise I was going to pass out.

Our roads tend to have a rough strip along the side that people can pull off onto. I pulled off the road. laid the bike down on the strip and wandered around a bit, breathing deeply, wondering what the hell was afflicting me. The dizziness was getting worse. I laid down on the rough grassy ground to the side of the strip, my body weight pressing down on the peat earth. The water coming to the top and freezing me quickly. In my dark clothing I would have blended in with the grasses. Cars continued to drive past. I knew that the heat would soon be extracted from my body, so got up and staggered across to a post with a box mounted atop on the strip, I sat with my back against the post trying to realise some equilibrium. I wasn’t getting any better. I had to lay down. Still the cars passed, their eyes probably attracted by the bike. It was then that the farting started. Only small ones, but it felt like there was some solid cargo making its way to the tunnel exit. I forced myself to get up, staggering about to find some cover on what had turned into a busy junction. I slid into a ditch end, yanking the waterproofs, trousers and pants down around my ankles, squatting as low as I good whilst the explosion of shit came out of me. Ducked low in the ditch, and still wearing my black hat, the occupants of the passing cars would surely not see me.

The first car to pull up was bright yellow. The female passenger quickly assessing the situation and instructing the driver to continue their journey.. The second car was a grey Berlingo,, 4-up. By this time I had purged the poo, and was trying to wipe, fortunately I always carry a few tissues. They pulled up looking to offer assistance. I was vigorously shaking my head and waving them away. My tackle had shrunk to the size of a small gherkin and a couple of petit pois, but I have always had a terrible and irrational fear of being charged with indecent exposure when being caught short somewhere. After what seemed a lifetime the Berlingoers figured out my circumstances and moved along.

Cleaned up as best I could I pushed the bike to the other side of the road, sat on a post well away from the stinking oozing excrement. I got some water down my neck, but felt too weak to continue the journey, I rang Ms Temp to explain my predicament, and that we would need a Plan B. There’s a good long downhill stretch, which eased the ‘pain’ of the journey back. I turned the assistance up to max and rotated the pedals, stopping once on the way back for a breather. When I got back to the house she came out and lifted my bike into the house for me. I wasn’t up to the task. She made me a cup of tea and prepared to take her bike out of the shed for what would undoubtedly be a more successful trip.

A weak and broken man I took to the bed with a cup of tea, cold and shivering!

Thank you Ms Temp, you’re an angel. xx

Later...

Whilst I was in bed trying to get warm, Ms Temp was out there riding the 18 miles to my house. After 10 miles it started raining. By the time she got to my place her hands were frozen as would be expected from a Reynauds sufferer. An hour later, after a can of soup, half a loaf and some cheese she headed back, it raining most of the way and by this time cold too. She made it back OK, and after a couple of cups of coffee, a shower and dinner she was back to normal. My stomach is still grumbling, and I occasionally feel dizzy, but I am acting as slave, fetching and carrying for her. It's the least I can do.

Go on, give your other half a big hug and tell them how much they mean to you.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  6. MaC

All I can say is Get Well Soon, and that I hope the New Year sees you both well.

I think I'm quietly on the mend. Managed to sleep six hours straight through, so that's helped immensely.

Boxing Day is a snooze fest and a chill out, and either eat up or compost the leftovers, kind of day.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  7. Moonz

Moonz Subscribed Member

PET/Scan tomorrow morning at the University of Wales in Cardiff.
    Strange thing is that I feel great except for a runny nose. :?

8. beachlover

All the best for that. I know from the experiences of friends that the real bastard is usually the limbo of waiting for results. I'm sure I'll not be alone in wishing you well with it. :)

Saint-Just, BorderReiver and MaC like this.
  9. MaC

Very best of luck Moonz. I hope it's quickly done and assessed, and something that can be effectively dealt with.

M

10. E. by gum

E. by gum Member

Been full of the lurgi over xmas (of course). Snot everywhere.
    Greatly eased that yesterday by trying to make a chicken broth as featured in my james wongs grow your own drugs book, with lots a chilli onion ginger n garlic, though didnt have any shiitake mushrooms or goji berries. The difference was remarkable, I stank of garlic though.

BorderReiver, MaC and beachlover like this.
  11. beachlover

Hope you're on the mend. The recipe looks half decent, I might give it go if I can scrounge some echinacea off my daughter. For anyone without the book and interested but lazy, it's here..
    https://www.lifestyle.com.au/health/goji-berry-and-chicken-soup-for-colds.aspx

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    BorderReiver and MaC like this.
  12. MaC

It's a miserable sleekit lurgy this one.
    I feel fine, and then suddenly I'm full of the cold again, and coughing like a 60 a day smoker to boot....and any energy I have just plummets.
    It keeps coming back, and refuses to be utterly killed off.

This has been weeks now. I am beyond fed up of it.

It's pouring here too, dismally dull outside and no inspiration to be busy and active.

M

13. E. by gum

E. by gum Member

My take 2 is on the gas now, didnt do any yesterday as had a chop to eat. Just been to morrissons-still cant find any shiitake shrooms or goji berries. Never mind. Got some "mixed chillis" green n red, used a green one. Not a chilli fan so no idea which colour is hotter, if either.

14. Saint-Just

Saint-Just Moderator Staff Member

There is no substitute for experience :rofl::nod:

Colour is not your first criteria: A red Jalapeño will be significantly milder than a green scotch bonnet.

Nice65 likes this.
  15. E. by gum

E. by gum Member

Scoffed it.....nice but not as hot as the 1st one I made tother day, when I used crushed chillies out of a jar. Bit underpowered if anything. More ginger n chilli next time, think I better make a point of it over next couple of days.

beachlover likes this.
  16. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

If you’re having trouble finding the dried Goji berries, I found them in the home baking section today, along with dried cranberries and stuff, might be worth a look there. Tamarind, lemongrass and mustard seed could go in your soup to help blast out snot and dissolve mucus. Somewhere on here I posted about a total sneezer of a soup made for me by a Malaysian friend when I had a stinker of a cold. It’s used in Asian countries where the rainy season brings coughs and colds, called Rasam, or Indian king soup. Good stuff, first spoonful and I had a giant wad of kitchen roll over my nose.

https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/post-south-africa/20181121/281741270462421

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    E. by gum likes this.
  17. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

total sneezer of a soup

LOL what a wonderful expression ! :)

no idea whats in your friends recipe but I have got to try it now !

Nice65 likes this.
  18. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Key ingredients are in the link just above. Tamarind, chilli, ton of garlic, popped black mustard, turmeric, lots of them with medicinal properties. It’s really nice stuff, noodles can go in to make it more of a meal.

19. E. by gum

E. by gum Member

Interesting. Means looking for more ingredients I dont have, which is getting beyond a joke, seem to be calling at coop everyday now.
    Take 5 is on the gas now, birds eye chilli this time, whole one minus the top, roughly chopped.
    I am winning with my cold, slowly. Have a history of asthma sinus trouble etc, in fact every ailment known to man plus a few more.

Saint-Just and BorderReiver like this.
  20. Saint-Just

Saint-Just Moderator Staff Member

birds eye will warm you up :nod:

Nice65 and beachlover like this.