1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Paddle style sharpener.

Discussion in 'Outdoors Gear Reviews' started by NOTSHARP, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I definitely am, I’ve had the Oztent King Goanna chair out today up on the Downs and after feeding the steps and resulting grandson plenty of chipolata rolls, I could have UKipped outdoors in the sun for the first time this year. It’s just my grandson wanted me to come and see a big dider (spider), and a mushroom he’d prodded that moke (smokes) which was a puffball. Not bad at nearly 3yrs old to recognise a fungi. Later, the loss of a tiny yellow ball caused consternation, but it turned out to be a fertiliser pellet, probably from the same pot the giant spider was living in. Still, he was happy, and dropped it into his packet of crisps. Between him and the dogs nicking 6 chipolatas out of the pan, there wasn’t much chance of a kip. :)

Back on topic, the demagnetiser didn’t come with anything in the way of instructions and a weird thing happened when I put my battery Seiko Chrono on it. All the dials spinned around. When I took it off they stopped, but would only reset to where they’d stopped? Google (not a library book Steve :P) got me reset correctly eventually, but it was an odd thing to push the button and have all the hands whirl around. I’ve got the Seiko 5 kinetic sorted hopefully, it was gaining a few minutes a week, it doesn’t measure anything on my special electric compass app thingy anymore.:D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  2. NOTSHARP

NOTSHARP Subscribed Member

I'm trying to get my head round demagnetising a quartz movement. :? The motor works off magnetism. :? A compass would, probably, show some deflection due to the magnet in the stepper motor. Maybe. :? All guesswork on my part.

I believe there are two ways to use the flat type demagnetiser that you have.

1) Sit the watch on it, switch on, and slowly lift the watch away. May need to be repeated a time or two.
    2) Sit the watch on it. Switch on/off, THEN remove the watch.

Maybe the motor was affected by the magnetic field of the demagnetiser, causing the movement to spin out of control. :? What did you do to fix it?

Definitely worth a bit more research, I think.

Where can I get a copy of this Google book that you mention. :lol:

ps. keep on Kipping.:D

Steve.

3. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I didn’t really consider the lack of a spring in the quartz movement, just that the watch was showing to be slightly magnetised. Watches aren’t really my thing, but of course it does make sense that it shouldn’t be affected.

I used the chrono buttons to manually reset all the hands to 12.00 and then reset the time. Seems to be ok, then I watched a YouTube vid on the demagnetiser which agrees with your method of lifting the watch away, some instructions in the box would have been helpful though.

NOTSHARP likes this.
  4. NOTSHARP

It's your fault that I decided to try my demagnetiser. :nod:

I tested a few watches with my Silva compass app. :D

[​IMG]

Please note that my demagnetiser did come with instructions. You get what you pay for, Rich.:roll:

[​IMG]

The watch in the pic was causing, about, a 25 deg. swing on the App Silva pointer. I gave it three passes through the demagnetiser, after which the needle barely twitched.

I ended up running five watches through it, and all showed improvement.

Cheers, Rich. :bow:

Steve.

5. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I wish I’d taken a video of the spinning hands, but I was in a :freak::freak::freak: panic. I love my Seiko Mili Chrono, it’s a lovely watch.

I’m not doing it again. I have to say I’m impressed by your instruction manual. Part of the instructions on my IR trail camera are “Film what you concern” but it does at least come with a manual.

Strangest thing. I contacted the seller about the lack of manual and have just received the item cost of £9.59 back, plus £20 apology, plus another £10 to cover return fees. It’s caught me right on the back foot, I didn’t even ask for a refund, just said the unit needs instructions and my watch went crazy but was ok after a hassle reset procedure.

It’s been an odd day for things. We were getting in the car earlier to see if we could get some decent garden furniture rather than Homebase crap. It’s expensive for something decent, so I was off to an Oak place I know. Prices are crazy, but it’s beautiful furniture (Lara likes shit like this and needs some cheer). Anyway, I’m just locking up the back door and she calls me out front to look at a table she’s been offered by some chancer in a van.

So, straight off the back of a van, we end up with 8 chairs, a leaf table, and a bench for not very much money. And yes, I did check his sign written van was kosh, and found pics of him on his garden nursery website with said furniture at £1700 retail/collect. He’d done the Goodwood weekender, wanted a short Monday and an empty van for Tuesday morning. Result :D

BorderReiver and NOTSHARP like this.
  6. Renton

Renton Subscribed Member

That's actually a haiku, not instructions.
    Roughly translates as

i’m a lusty wench
    put your hand up my skirt and
    pinch my bottom, boss

7. NOTSHARP

Thank fuck it wasn't a tattoo. :D

Steve.

8. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

I admire your logic process. :D :D

NOTSHARP likes this.