1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Pens etc.

Discussion in 'General Chat and Gossip' started by ElThomsono, Oct 17, 2017.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Moderator Staff Member

For a long time I've been carrying a Caran d'Ache 849, a fantastic little ballpoint with a super smooth retractable mechanism, nice cartridge, just the right length, and with a shoddily attached pocket clip that's caused me to lose them at a rate of one every two years.

Having given up on them for the time being, I started using a Uni-Ball micro, which is great apart from having a cap, and not being safe on a flight (ask me how I know). I'd always thought they could be a little finer, and now they are:

[​IMG]

I've imported a stack of the new 0.38mm "ultra micro" versions from Japan, and they're ace.

Anyone else got a favourite? The 849 was so close to being perfect, too :roll:

2. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

3. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

The original Rotring 600. Best pen I have ever owned. Lovely weighty feel to it and writes superbly.
    (not my collection unfortunately).
    [​IMG]

4. ElThomsono

Never tried a space pen, heard good things.

The Rotrings I've been tempted by but the weight and the price have always held me back. Beautiful looking things, but.

5. fast but dim

fast but dim Subscribed Member

The only decent pens I own are space pens...one in my passport holder, and one in my man drawer ( neither is a euphemism)

I love the compact design. They make good gifts too.

mojofilter likes this.
  6. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I'm on my third. They like to slide out of my pockets.

Unrelated, I bought one of Cult Pens own brand mini Kaweco fountain pens. I'm using a dark burnt orange Diamine ink, it's a pleasure to use.

I grabbed a cardboard bound Atoma pad too.

Pad:

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/AM44086/atoma-alain-berteau-disc-bound-refillable-notebook-a5

Pen:

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/CU46157/cult-pens-mini-fountain-pen-space-grey

Ink:

http://www.gorgeous.ink/blog/2015/3/9/ink-review-deep-dark-orange-by-cult-pens-diamine

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

Lamy fountain pens, fine nib, wonderful things, use one every day for everything written......and I'm a site manager :) The lads on site know me as the bloke with the posh pen :)

8. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Madam rates the Lamy Nexx, it's the only pen she uses

9. CaptainBeaky

CaptainBeaky Subscribed Member

Used to use a Lamy Safari for everything, but wore the clicky cap out on two of them.
    Now use a TWSP Mini - screw cap and post. Lovely pen, writes beautifully, and not fussy on ink.

10. ElThomsono

Lamy have always left me cold; too bulky and I don't like things like rubber grips or triangular barrels. Screw cap would be a no go for me, a clicky cap is inconvenient enough!

That Atoma notebook looks nice but I tend to write bulky notes that work through A4 notebooks faster than I'd care to buy them so I'm stuck using the stuff from the stationary cupboard.

Beaky, is it a TWSBI mini? That looks nice, as does the Caran d'Ache 849 fountain, but it was going to be too long to carry.

Harder than buying knives, this :roll:

11. CaptainBeaky

CaptainBeaky Subscribed Member

That's the one - TWSBI Mini. I'm sure it's an acronym, but don't know what :shucks:
    Just over 5" capped, and just over 6" posted. Ink reservoir is huge.

12. Guzzi Goose

Guzzi Goose Subscribed Member

[​IMG]
    I have aKaweco lilliput brass with an extra fine nib on my filofax, mine isnt not as good looking, the lid is a different shade to the body not sure if I would recomend for £50.

I punch holes in nicer paper for the filofax

Various old Parker 51s with Waterman intense black ink for day to day use.

Funny thing is my handwriting is horrendous

Quarterstaff likes this.
  13. Basemetal

Basemetal Administrator Staff Member

I find these Schneider Pulse a really good fit in my hand. The refills are G2 (parker type) and they do a brilliant Viscoglide ballpen ink refill one. I'm on my fourth or fifth refill, despite them being such cheap pens (£2.35).

My minimum spec is retractable + pocket clip + G2 refill, but I gave up on more expensive ballpoints when I realised the refill dominates the experience.

Cult Pens currently only has the red and green ink ones up, but usually there are blue and black as well. The barrels are rubber over metal.
    https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/SN21781/schneider-pulse-ballpoint-pen
    [​IMG]

The upmarket Plus Pro is a heady £4.20...
    https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/SN24448/schneider-pulse-pro-ballpoint-pen
    [​IMG]

14. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Member

I saw a thread a fair while ago about a rollerball pen which used ink, either from cartridges or bottles. I was going to look into it more because I thought it was a cool idea as well as being a handy filled, long lasting pen. Cannot remember any more about it but if the pen still exists, it'll be somewhere in Cult Pens.... :D

15. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Member

Here's a link to a rollerball at Cult Pens which uses cartridges or bottled ink,

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/HR29348/j-herbin-metal-barrel-ink-rollerball-pen

I know there are others because this isn't the pen I was thinking on. It was a much more expensive one from a fancy maker, that's why I didn't buy it.... :roll:

To use bottled ink, you could either ask a druggie or dealer for a syringe or buy a kit like this from The Writing Desk,

https://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=The Writing Desk&range=Filling Kits&cat=accessories

16. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

17. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

18. ElThomsono

I actually quite like the look of that TWSBI mini, but I reckon it would be too fat for my back pocket.

I don't think I've ever used all the ink in a pen, they've either lost favour or been lost before that point. There's a guy at work has six Bic biros in his drawer that are in mint condition, but have all been ran dry!

I had a 701, it was nice but I broke the clicky bit off getting into the car one day, I saw recently that they now do an all metal version.

19. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I may have my pens mixed up Steve. I've bust a 301 same way as you, but I got another straight away, what I'm calling a 701 is all steel with a knurled grip, EDC icon, but not for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  20. ElThomsono

It was a 701 Rich, the clicky bit (I've since learned is called the plunger) is chrome plated plastic; you need to buy the Zebra F-xMD if you want real steel all round!

I keep looking at that TWSBI :O