1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Teach me about sewing machines

Discussion in 'Making Stuff' started by Guzzi Goose, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Guzzi Goose

Guzzi Goose Subscribed Member

2. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

I would probably scout ebay for an old singer (manual or electric) or something similar. Should find a good one for 5o quid.
    They were far more robust than anything made today.

beachlover likes this.
  3. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't buy that. You can get the equivalent for thirty anyway.

It's not going to go through canvas with any ease, and waxed cotton is a right royal pain (dewax your machine coverplate etc., with meths when you're done) and that will chug, chug, chug it's way through it.

Andy's right, for fifty quid buy something older, simple and sound.
    If it does back, forwards and zigzag then it'll do for almost anything you'll need.

It's the postage is the killer, but your local Gumtree or the like might be well worth a look.

M

bagman, CaptainBeaky and beachlover like this.