1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

TEOTWAWKI - COVID-19

Discussion in 'General Chat and Gossip' started by beachlover, Feb 27, 2020.

1. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

Well, pretty much as could have been predicted, had a call from eldest this morning who is just back from Malaysia and other assorted fetid places with her family to let me know her and grandson have a temperature, feel ill and are coughing.
    A call to 111 now sees them in self quarantine and awaiting a discreet meeting in a hospital car park with men in space suits for testing.
    Interestingly, my son in law and granddaughter feel OK and have been allowed to work (hospital) and school.
    Clearly there is a chance if not a probability that she has a cold that is being misread and my grandson has spotted the opportunity for a fortninght on PlayStation to hone his FIFA skills, but regardless of the outcome what hope is there of the NHS or government being credible when half of the immediate contacts and family members are being allowed to mix with the community in high contact environments?
    My tactical withdrawal from Brighton an hour before they arrived home is no longer seen as the old man being overcautious. :roll:

PS I thought I’d start a thread here rather than further infect the joke thread. :)

2. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Obviously a go to for the more discrete tasks that may be enforced by quarantine, these can also be pressed to serve in a case of the bronichles

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Nice65 and BorderReiver like this.
  3. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

One of the draw backs of the country being run by politicians, and the important jobs being taken by accountants rather anyone who has a clue about the subject in question.:roll:

MaC and beachlover like this.
  4. Gower Ranger

Gower Ranger Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your family, Kev. Here's hoping it's not COVID-19 and if it is, that they have a mild experience of it.

Chatting to my ITU colleagues about the pandemic scenarios that have been modelled and the plans in place should that occur, was a sobering conversation.

BorderReiver, beachlover and MaC like this.
  5. Guzzi Goose

Guzzi Goose Subscribed Member

My beloved 13 year old daughter has just returned from a school trip to northern Italy and is contemplating trying for 14 days of TV watching.
    I have informed her this will involve being confined to her room a bucket to use as a toilet and a diet of pizza (which she hates) as it's the only food that will fit under the door.
    Us middle aged men can't be too careful

I was in court last Friday as a witness in a spurious Small Claims action against my employer. The claimant refused to attend as he had self isolated rather than explain a few inconsistencies in his submission.
    His Barrister was trying not to laugh as he explained this to the Court.

6. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I’ll be solidly pissed off to find the preppers and Endtimers were right all along. My, how I mocked.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Member

Well they will be one day. Not that I care at my age but I'd like the grandchildren to have a crack at mending the planet before Armageddon.

I'm initiating them into prepping though. Someone has to perpetuate my genes

MaC likes this.
  8. Guzzi Goose

9. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Fixed. :D

True enough though, it’s not a proud legacy really.

10. Guzzi Goose

Two weeks ago I was chatting about with my Scout Troop about Lord of the Flies and noticed the glint in their eyes and slightly excited smiles and thought this lot have a different take home message from the one Golding intended.

Don't worry about initiating the young into prepping

Worry about yourself........... Piggy.......

noddy, beachlover and BorderReiver like this.
  11. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

We should go more gothic on the naming of this one ... Corvid 19

[​IMG]

12. Saint-Just

Saint-Just Moderator Staff Member

13. BorderReiver

I mentioned on the other thread my worries about Covid19 finding a safe host to hone its skills in, well...

MaC likes this.
  14. Saint-Just

Saint-Just Moderator Staff Member

We have Jorge coming, our friendly usual weekend storm. I have missed the one whose name was a female first name starting by "E"

MaC likes this.
  15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Moderator Staff Member

What are we talking here, over-run hospitals or town halls being stocked with body bags?

MaC likes this.
  16. BorderReiver

Both I would think, depending on the mutations. BTW England only has 28 serious pulmonary disease beds, 15 of which are available at the moment.

MaC likes this.
  17. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

Oh good grief!
    :sigh:

M

18. Gower Ranger

From memory:
    The modelling was based on a 50% infection rate=200,000 cases in our immediate catchment area.
    Expected ITU cases 8000
    Actual ITU capacity if major incident protocols used, perhaps 50 beds.
    No one over 40yr eligible for ITU
    Max period on ventilation without sign of improvement 48hr (before "unplugged")
    More than one organ system involved=not eligible for ITU or ventilation withdrawn if already on ITU
    Various other gloomy issues discussed like staff quarantine (not allowed home/contact with family), burn out, body disposal/storage.

However, for perspective, 4 people have died of flu in our hospital this year and similar plans/modelling existed for SARS, swine-flu, avian-flu etc.

19. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

Our local hospital that deals with isolation of infectious stuff is more used to handling E coli issues. 21 people died here and scores more were infected, in 1998.
    That said, they did deal, and they know how to deal with any recurrence. I just hope their experience is transferable if necessary.

M

Gower Ranger likes this.
  20. Gower Ranger

Apparently the Spanish meteorological folk named it already, and for harmonisation the name is kept.
    No Ellen, or whatever.

I would love to see "Stormy McStormface" announced later in the year.

BorderReiver and Saint-Just like this.