1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

The genius of What3words -anyone using this?

Discussion in 'Messing Around Outdoors' started by Gower Ranger, Aug 15, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

1. Gower Ranger

Gower Ranger Moderator Staff Member

Such a simple idea that I’m surprised it hasn’t caught on faster.

Obviously it has limitations (Phone/GPS/data dependent) but I’ve found it really useful.

Here’s the address for Ben Macdui if you’re using the app:

delays.fixtures.hang

Or a link:
    https://w3w.co/delays.fixtures.hang

I like that any global location, land or sea, can be described by just three words.

Anyone else using it?

2. Saint-Just

Saint-Just Moderator Staff Member

I am.
    We don’t use it very often but found it useful when trying to herd cats family members in a fair or meeting in airport.

Gower Ranger likes this.
  3. winnet

winnet Member

I downloaded it the other day after reading about it on the Beeb website. I can see the benefits.

I just need to rediscover the text message number to register with the emergency services mountain rescue people.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Moderator Staff Member

Laura's downloaded it, she goes walking with the dog in the New Forest every Saturday, and it's only a matter of time before she gets trapped in a fence or down a ditch. The dog of course, would be bloody useless in that situation.

5. bushwacker

bushwacker Subscribed Member

With not much effort your phones location should be tracable by the emergengy services.
    The Gestapo could triangulate a radio transmitter in WW2 and the 'mericans can drop a cruise missile within 30 cms of a mobile phone. If your 3 words are something coincidentally contrary like 'man,found,dead' They may not bother.

ElThomsono likes this.
  6. bushwacker

Actually 'Riots' and 'Doghouse' are in my kitchen!

7. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

I gave it a try this afternoon; texted my wife with my location and we had a look when I got home. It showed me in woods on the opposite side of the road to where I actually was. I'll give it a few more chances to prove itself before I abandon it.:)

8. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

I tried it at home and it put me in the local cemetery. I was reassured to find the three words didn’t include "tarot," "you" and "tomorrow." :O

Close enough in reality to be found by a chopper or a small search party though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 11:31 AM
  9. Gower Ranger

Gower Ranger Moderator Staff Member

I presume its accuracy is dictated by the phone, hence limitations relayed to signal/data etc.

Certainly shouldn't be your primary option for emergency location on Sea or rural land.

10. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

Worked fine today in the same wood. My main use would be to be rescued from under a fallen tree, but I can see its potential for finding mislaid visiting relatives.:)

11. bushwacker

There's the best reason NOT to EVER download it.