1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Unimportant, but not to me.

Discussion in 'General Chat and Gossip' started by dkonopinski, Feb 6, 2020.

1. dkonopinski

dkonopinski Subscribed Member

Over the years my knife collection (all folders apart from 5 fixed blades) has grown to be quite large simply in terms of the number of knives. I have it catalogued in detail in an Excel Workbook with a worksheet for each country of manufacture. For each knife there is a hyperlink to an online image and Photofuckit (sic) is where the images were hosted. When Photofuckit decided to charge for the service I was not prepared to even consider paying for it and like most people effected I was angry that my access was blocked without so much as the courtesy of a prior warning.

Then I discover that I am unable to download the images in order to use another hosting provider. I did find online advice about how to do it, but I was unable to make them work and concluded that it is a case of deliberate blocking. So, I had to take photos of every knife again, upload them from phone to laptop, upload them from laptop to the new service provider, add a title to each image, reset all of the hyperlinks and then check that each one was correct and working.

This time I have kept copies of the images. :roll:
    A right pain in the wossname, BUT it is now done and I feel GREAT :D:bounce::banana:

David aka Smugfeatures

BorderReiver, beachlover and MaC like this.
  2. Stew

Stew Member

Good stuff!

3. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

Over thirty five years ago we had a speaker at the Young Wives. The lady said then that technology was moving along so fast that we couldn't be sure that anything would last, and she derided our colour photographs and said to mind and take some black and white shots because we know they do last....well, she was right, and many of the colour photographs taken of our children all those years ago have faded, etc., but the black and white ones are still crisp.

I'm not suggesting you take black and white photos, but I am suggesting that you print out your photos as well as uploading them to another site. If nothing else you'll have the memories :)

M

4. dkonopinski

Yeah. Now you mention it we have found the same thing. I have black & white photos of family that are well over 70 years old and still in good shape while those colour ones we took of our own kids are fading. Well, that's (still) life. I've a file of this lot on an external hard drive.

5. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

I downloaded all of my photofukkit pics early on. Hardly a valuable resource or archive of BB and also nowhere near the original quality, but at least I got them away from the spiteful money grubbers.

6. Gower Ranger

Gower Ranger Moderator Staff Member

If you do as Mary advises and print-put your photos to create a physical record, make sure you use archival quality materials (not typically found in the home or office setting!) Most home-printed stuff fades in a few years.

I used to do loads of black white (and some colour) darkroom stuff. If using good materials and technique, silver prints (and most negatives) are very robust. A very subtle selenium toning could also add to the longevity, if memory serves me correctly.

Happy days up to my elbows in toxic liquids in a tiny, unventilated room... those prints will outlive me!

7. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Well .... let's see them then :)

MaC likes this.
  8. snappingturtle

snappingturtle Member

Yeh I'm with Noddy on this, enough lip flapping, pic's!! :D…...please..

9. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

My dad still has all our family negatives and the old projector.

10. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Still nothing to be done about that, even with the passing of time, wounds healing and the like?

11. beachlover

Just like BB never happened. Well, apart from the PTSD and flashbacks that combine to see me shopping for a Gransfors Bruks and studying timetables to Stafford, but hey, forgive and forget eh? :mob: :ninja:

MaC and BorderReiver like this.
  12. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Has to be a Gransfors, not a £7.50 hatchet from B&Q? One thing BB did a marvellous job of was educating many in the art of blade snobbery.:rofl:

MaC, bagman, beachlover and 1 other person like this.
  13. beachlover

He's worth it.....:]

MaC, Robbi, Nice65 and 1 other person like this.
  14. dkonopinski

True, but at the same time it taught me a great deal more than that.

MaC, BorderReiver and beachlover like this.
  15. bushwacker

bushwacker Subscribed Member

:worthless:

MaC likes this.
  16. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Of course, that applies to us all. It was a superb, expansive, and expensive education, hence the discontent and grudges at losing the whole thing.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    MaC likes this.
  17. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

:sad02

MaC likes this.
  18. dkonopinski

Yeah, I know. Me too.