1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Want a new knife

Discussion in 'Production Knives' started by noddy, Dec 27, 2017.

1. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

It's not so much that the itch has returned (I don't think it ever went away) but focussing on a wardrobe of expensive outdoor clobber means I neglected the ritual this year of picking up a nice little knife for myself at Christmas.

I did discover that I am rather behind the times. Anyway, this is one I had been waiting for ... a Baby Jess Horn ... finally arrived in the stores. Pretty, but I'm not sure it is entirely the right thing. Maybe. Might just pick up a 1940s-ish Case Barlow.

What else is there at the moment?

(btw: Turn off the sound if you watch this ... the guy making the vid is a typical knife-selling prick. :lol:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Stew

Stew Member

That spydie does have a certain elegance about it. It does hint towards old school folders but with that modern take on it.

3. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

So, I picked up that Jess Horn .. accidentally as it happens. I went in to a shop to buy some Leatherman bits and there is was .. showing a bit of leg like. It is a great knife and rather different in feel to most other small sounder is. Imagine a tiny Native 5 with the lovely kickback and all that. Bit stuff in the action at first but a good sluicing in hot water and detergent fixed that

I was hoping this wouldn’t kick off the old cravings but that hope was a vain one ... already looking at others. When will it ever end

4. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Accident my arse, though I do see the same bit of leg you did, it's a tidy little knife. :D

I'm having a coffee craving and have discovered the Nanopresso. Brews a bit more than the Minipresso, and comes in Patrol Orange. How could I resist?

https://www.wacaco.com/collections/shop/products/nanopresso-orange-patrol

[​IMG]

After ordering one, I discovered the Nanopresso Barista bundle. Bigger water tank, extra filter baskets, double espresso adaptor, options, more options, just everything. :freak:

https://www.wacaco.com/collections/shop/products/nanopresso-barista-bundle

Tried to cancel the orange, but failed as it had shipped. So, 2 Nanos on the way, one to be returned unless anyone wants it at cost, and I'm currently looking at double wall cups and hand grinders. I'm hoping the storm will pass by morning without anymore dents in my finances.

The lost Zebralight SC600 has never turned up despite every pocket and pack being checked, so I have another arriving tomorrow. The SC600 mk iv plus. Smashing the 2000 lumen mark with a bit of extra throw too.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC600w-Mk-IV-Plus-18650-XHP502-Neutral-White-Flashlight_p_225.html

5. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

I am having a problem with lights too. Just ordered some aaa models with the aim of surrendering most of them. Also saw a SC52 for 95canadian. Very tempting

6. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

7. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Lost my SC52 too. :sad04:

8. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

9. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Great. Now I want a Gran Vela and an orange Nanopresso :lol:

Nice65 likes this.
  10. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

11. fast but dim

fast but dim Subscribed Member

12. bagman

bagman Moderator Staff Member

Me too :nod:

13. 5teep

5teep Subscribed Member

I have the copper Astrolux version of that, weighs a ton but it's a nice light.

14. Cave_Dweller

Cave_Dweller Member

Great light - the extra throw is probably handy. I have the warm white (dunno which version), and although it's a firm favourite it could use a bit more 'reach'. Mine boasts a paltry 800 odd lumens from memory, so the 2000+ lumen version probably doesn't suffer the same way!

15. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I got the 2000 lumens wrong, that's the Plus version with big, fat LED and huge flood (wider reflector too). The Hi is stated at 1400 with longer throw. Having searched for my blind old dog over fields while camping last year with the Mk3 W and not getting enough throw, I went for the Hi neutral version. Got an Olight Javelot in the cupboard, that's getting a battery put in it and being deployed.

Annoyingly, I was still out across the fields while she'd had her adventure and was sat back by the fire. Bastard. :roll:

jaggededge, BorderReiver and 5teep like this.
  16. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

Annoyingly, I was still out across the fields while she'd had her adventure and was sat back by the fire. Bastard.

Brill :)

you can just imagine what she was thinking sitting by that fire...........I wonder where he's gone. Bastard.

LOL :)

BorderReiver and Nice65 like this.
  17. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

I reckon it's her cunning way of distracting me so she can sneak back in and lick the bacon fat out of my frying pan to be honest. :D

BorderReiver likes this.