1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

We need a what knife for what task sub-forum.....pencils

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews' started by MaC, Apr 23, 2019.

1. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

I draw. I have pencils that cannot be sharpened with a normal pencil sharpener but need a knife.
    Charcoal, PITT, Pastels, and so on. They shatter and break with any twisting, such as done in a normal pencil sharpener.
    At home that's fine, I just use a small Mora classic, but I can hardly tuck that into my pencil tin and take it off for a wander, not nowadays.
    I have been using the littlest Spyderco, but it's just a touch too small. So is the smallest Swiss army knife.
    Thing is though, I don't have thick nails, I can't open a tight knife, but I need something small and pretty innocuous looking.

I can buy one from Faber-Castell meant for the job, but it's just a little too much of a stabby thing and I'd much prefer a folder.
    https://www.faber-castell.co.uk/products/Erasingandsharpeningknife/181398

Any suggestions ?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Moderator Staff Member

I find a Stanley blade does a good job, have you looked at the little titanium type retractable utility knives that are all the rage?

MaC likes this.
  3. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

No, I haven't. Hmmm. Good idea there :)

4. dkonopinski

dkonopinski Subscribed Member

One of these might suit you for the job -

https://www.heinnie.com/black-fox-skal

I have one and it is quite a neat, well thought out package. Small, but not too small, no spring to break your nails and a built-in bottle opener!!!!

Cheers! :chug:

David

5. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Moderator Staff Member

I've got one of these Boker tiny folders that measures 2 and half inches by 1 and a half that you're welcome to, Mary. It's a locker so not exactly street legal, but obviously will be covered by "good reason".

6. Robbi

Robbi Subscribed Member

7. beachlover

beachlover Moderator Staff Member

I usually have a BB Spydie Urban in my pocket, but find that a bit thick for pencils, so I have a full-sized, two-layer SAK in my sketching box. Like you, I found the Classic too fiddly. Disappointing because the nail file would be good for “flattening” down pencils. They do a Fisherman and maybe others that have a file, but I’ve just settled for my SAK and sandpaper.

I’ve avoided anything fixed blade or lockable, likewise a Stanley or modelling knife because there are always snowflakes and over industrious coppers looking for an easy day on paperwork, coffee and donuts.

8. 5teep

5teep Subscribed Member

9. Renton

Renton Subscribed Member

Looks good, I have its bigger brother and they are nice knives.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I've got the 3 and always liked the look of the 1, if not the price. If the pocket clip was more Spyderco and less Spam-can I might be tempted regardless :roll:

11. Ren

Ren Member

12. noddy

noddy Subscribed Member

Mary, I think I'd get a little carbon steel stockman knife .. one of those in a 3 1/2" pattern ... or a half congress. In any case, one with a coping blade and a slightly bigger clip point. Maybe an awl too. Shame is Moore Maker who used to produce exactly such useful things don't have much stock at the moment. Their good pieces were made by Queen, who died. Eye were good too, but they also gone. You can still find 2nd hand German things like Bulldog etc. on AAPK, which are similar to the old Eyes (made in the same shops, I think), if the vendors will post outside the US; which they sometimes won't.

You might look also at the Case CV ranges in red bone and yellow delrin ... maybe a peanut. GEC do a lot similar but frankly I don't think GEC are worth anything like what they ask any more .. collectors have buggered that source right up ... though the patterns are sometimes pretty terrific on their pocketable-sized ones; lots of little wharncliffes, which some schools might say is exactly what you are looking for. The Case red jigged bone, CV wharncliffe (Gent's?) is very good.

There is always Opinel too. Thin, softish carbon steel, easy to get to razor sharp on the kitchen steel, or the bottom of a plate or mug .. pretty much anything really

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    bushwacker and Nice65 like this.
  13. Ren

Ren Member

14. dkonopinski

dkonopinski Subscribed Member

O/T but this thread has reminded me of my primary school teacher ( a very large Scots woman called Miss Logan) who always had 2 traditional fixed blade knives in leather sheaths sticking out of a pot on her desk, which she used daily to sharpen pencils in full view of a class of 32 brats. And we are talking about London's East End, not a leafy lane school. It was never an issue with anyone. Funny ol' world.

David