1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are trying to register and not receiving an email confirmation, the most common reason is that you've mis-typed your email address and the confirmation email has bounced. Send a message to Admin using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and we'll sort it out. Alternatively, check your spam folder as sometimes messages are mistakenly put in there.

Who likes Kirinite handles?

Discussion in 'General Chat and Gossip' started by warrensmith, Feb 14, 2020.

1. warrensmith

warrensmith Subscribed Member

Do people really like the bright plasticy handles? And the hybrid scales, wood and resin mix.

I dont like the stuff

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Juttle

Juttle Subscribed Member

No, doesn’t appeal to me at all. Now, a nicely made Sambar stag handle...

3. MaC

MaC Moderator Staff Member

Some of the hybrids are nice. The ones made from pine cones soaked and sealed with clear or coloured resin....the amber one look really smart, but the blue ones look almost like fish scales when they're sliced through to make the handle scales......they can be very appealling.

M

4. Andylaser

Andylaser Administrator Staff Member

I quite like the lava one.
    [​IMG]

Nice65 likes this.
  5. MaC

Thinking on it, over ten years ago I bought a Mini Canadian (it says prototype on it) that has faux tortoiseshell scales. It's a lovely knife :)
    Got a lot of use.

6. Ren

Ren Member

7. Stew

Stew Member

A lot of the kirinite looks crap to my eye. I struggle to understand why folk put it on knife handles!

8. warrensmith

warrensmith Subscribed Member

Ive used it on pens, its horrible to work with and the bright plasticy shiny thing is just horrible. Its quite brittle as well

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

9. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

That’s it exactly. Its crap for knife handles because it breaks or shatters if you drop the knife. I love the look of mixed colour acrylics, but colours on knife handles should be in a bonded fibre like G10 or micarta for strength. Kirinite knife handles are too impractical for grip, and too glitzy.

Stabilised wood is a different matter, it can look good if not over Americanised and the coloured resin just used to fill voids and bond the weak material.

10. Nice65

Nice65 Subscribed Member

Mini Canadian, I love those little Canucks. Built for the little things, like boning out game.

11. snappingturtle

snappingturtle Member

My fav is wenga and antler so probably not, a flexable or chewy plastic then yes.

12. MaC

Really good for getting under bark and helping it peel too :D Awfully useful for scraping and slicing up reedmace roots :) and it's a pretty innocuous looking wee knife as well. No one asks me if it's a 'guid chib', put it that way.

BorderReiver likes this.